Getting ready for the ALR Convention in April
Randy Brenneman (VP)
Wednesday March 01, 2017 4:22 am
In the next couple days you will be seeing the Annual ALR Convention Call Letter. This is the official notification and invitation for the 11th annual American Legion Riders - Department of California Convention in late April. This call letter will provide the purpose, intent and ground rules for the convention.
As we are counting down to the start of convention, here are a couple things that you can do to get ready:
- Lodging reservations. Lodging is somewhat limited, so you are planning on attending as either a guest or delegate, you need to make sure this is taken care of soon.
- Register. Chapter 69 is offering an optional registration that will get you convention goodies, such as a t-shirt, breakfast, dinner and other good stuff. Early registration ends the 1st of March. After this, the price goes up to $45. You can get the lodging and registration information from the flier from alrdoc.org
- Uniform and headgear. Chapter delegates and alternates are required to wear their ALR Vests and official headgear while on the convention floor. The headgear is either the ALR beret, or the garrison cover from their parent organization. These are the only authorized headgear.
- Membership cards. Delegates and alternates MUST have in their possession their official 2017 membership card from their parent organization (TAL, Aux or SAL). NOT the ALR Membership card. You will not be allowed to register if you do not have this card.
- Guests are completely welcome to attend the convention and sit in the gallery. Guests are not required to wear their ALR vests or headgear. Please keep in mind, guests will not have a voice or vote during convention.
- Resolutions. If you have a resolution that you would like to have considered during convention, please submit it to the resolution committee as soon as possible.
- Elections. During convention, the following Department Executive Committee officer positions will be voted on: ALRDOC President, Vice President and Sgt. At Arms, plus the Area Vice Presidents and Alternate Area VP’s (all area VP’s will be voted on by their area during the Area Caucus). If you would like to run for any of these officer positions, please submit your intent to run, and a resume/bio to the ALRDOC Secretary. Department Officer candidates will be required to give a brief nomination speech to the convention delegates so be prepared to talk about yourself and why the delegates should vote for you.
Something new this convention … each delegate will receive a convention information packet during delegate registration by the credential committee. This packet will include copies of all proposed resolutions, the draft budget, and officer nomination resumes/bios. This will allow Chapter delegates to thoroughly review and contemplate all the material that they will be asked to vote upon.
If you have ANY questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, or any of the DEC. We want to make sure you are as fully prepared as possible to make this a highly successful and enjoyable convention. I can’t wait to see you in Hollister!
American Legion Riders
Department of California